Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Let's sign and learn

I have decided to begin signing with all of my littles. I feel that this will be a good way for us to communicate with eachother in quiet places and it will help my little Butterfly express to us what she is wanting when she can't yet say it, such as Momma. She can not say Momma yet. She says many other words, dog, duck, dinosaur, bird, baby, ba-ba, da-da and diaper and thank you, there it is, that and others but she is unable to pronounce certain sounds. I found the perfect site, Born to Sign, a few years ago that I enjoyed and began doing some of it with Superman then 4 and he just revealed to me some of the signs that he remembered from then.

I am really excited about doing this. Also, I am going to really try to encourage T-Rex to enjoy some kind of learning. I do not want to push him but I really want to do some things with him. He refuses to do anything with me! Even fun things, all he wants to do is play. Thinking of the CM method I know not to push him and that it is not all that important to be formally teaching him at this point, he is only 3 nearly 4 (3 months). I have been trying to read with him and creatively disguise learning into games. He calls me out sometimes and escapes. One thing I did with him that he really loved was put 5 little orange squares on his desk each numbered 1-5 and then had 5 more bigger squares numbered 1-5 for him to match and then count. He loved it and did it over and over again. Another thing I did was play cars with him and snuck in some counting, he didn't seem to notice. I think I am going to pick up some from Letter of the Week until the end of the semester to releave some of my guilt of not doing anything with him, that is if he will entertain me with it.

3 comments:

cryssi said...

The sign language looks like a really neat thing to do with young children. Jason is not yet saying lots of word, he says dada, jack, sister, kylie, bed, drink, thank you, and finally the other day he said momma... He knows how to sign, more and thank you. As Far as T-Rex, my three year old does not show that much interest in doing things...my 4.5 yr old wants to do school on certain days and she refuses to learn her abc's. But as you said, dont push. I have to remember this everday as I try to compare her to most almost 5 yr olds and it just isnt right. She is learning at her own pace. I think you are doing a great job.

Blessings Crystal

A Good Kinda Crazy said...

Have you seen the signing times videos? We've loved them!

Anonymous said...

I second the Signing Time Videos, I love them as much or more than the kids. I have even put them on our list of things to buy as I am tired of waiting on them at the library.

Latte Cannon