Friday, September 19, 2008

Our Adventures: Week 2



Praise the Lord for another awesome week! He has been so good to us in His unconditional love and graciousness in bestowing strength to me. There were a little more struggles within week 2 of our homeschool adventure but we have been in a season of change around here, not physical but mostly mental and emotional and it was evident as we turn pages in books and schedules.

This week we struggled with getting up on time to start by 8:00 again and this is totally my idleness in sleep. Idid make it on Thursday and this morning. I realize that I must go to bed earlier! I use to could get by with 5-6 hours of sleep and be fine but it is prooving to be to much for my body to handle at this point in my life, being 27 and all :0). If I don't go to bed by 10:00 or so I will not even respond to the sound of the alarm or at least I don't remember responding to it... next week.

Math: I am really feeling a struggle from within concerning our daily math. I can see that we are to confined to the textbook of Horizons and I don't like it and can see a continual burden with the material and overall downfall of the joy of learning the concepts, it is becoming very monotonous and that bothers me. I am researching more ways to breathe life into our math. I am almost certain that next year we will pick up Right Start math for this reason. Math is the only subject that is lacking in being a more living part of our day, it is defintely the most lifeless of them all.

Grammar: Honestly... this is not going exactly like I had imagined it would, which was smooth and easy. He is having a little harder time grasping all of the terms and instruction but we are getting through it with a fairly good attitude. I think I need to be more actively involved with him in this, I do try to make it refreshing by taking it outside and just allowing the lull of creation inspire his senses and imagination.

Spelling: Just coasting along... nice and smooth.

Cursive: Just enjoying the steady excitment of the pencil striding over the slanted letters and slowly across the page each day.

History: We enjoyed a week in Rome and Britian traveling with the Celts and into the heroic story of Beowolf. Today they boys and daddy are going to make a Celtic Double Edged War Axe and fight to the death... well figuratively speaking :0).

Science: Seeds, Seeds and more Seeds! Oh what fun seeds have turned out to be so much fun in fact that Superman tried to find a movie at the library on seeds and beans, to his dissapointment he came up empty handed. He did find a science movie on experiments. Our plants are continueing to grow....

and we put some beans to observe and chart their growth over the next few weeks...


Nature Study: We have just been following along with our science so on our walks we keep our eyes out for seeds and flower and just discuss the things we are learning. Today we will go for a little nature hike at a near by park. I also try to have what I call a daily Nature Mission but sometimes they fail or we have to abort the mission but they are fun and they keep us interested and observing :0).


Artist and Music Appreciation: I just can't express how much fun we are having with these to and how much they are impacting us. Superman has become a very active artist around here and is so intrigued with Van Gogh. We have read many books about him and will read a short bio next week while studying his Sunflower painting and then he will try his hand at his own recreation. Music, we have just been enjoying Mozart all through out the week, we painted a picture of him yesterday. Next week we will start a little study on the Orchestra with a lapbook.


Latin: :0)
Other: Hands on activities for T-Rex and Butterfly...





I am still working on T-Rex and getting him more engaged in learning... he is very opposed but I am very determined. I will set in times to get on the floor with him to read, play and learn through time with momma. I believe that is the only way to reach him. Butterfly is just our little wanderer and is doing much better now that I have a table just for her.

I will probably have a follow up to this week to share our nature walk and double edged war axe!! So stay tuned :0).

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

2 comments:

cryssi said...

Sounds like yall are having a blast! We too have been struggling to get up and going and I have been ignoring the alarm clock....I know I need to pay attention to it because my day goes so much better when I get up and have my time with Him before everything else. But alas, I do ignore it and my day goes okay but not Great!

Thank you for your comment and for letting me in on what Latin you use.

Cant wait to hear about the axe..that sounds so exciting!

Blessings
crystal

ByHISgoodGrace said...

MATH is my worst subject!
I found Math on the Level and it has changed everything for me.
www.mathonthelevel.com
It is very expensive, however, it is all the math you will ever need for up to about grade 8 for any child. So, for me right now, it is costing $15 per year for my two oldest, not counting the baby yet. But, it will work for him to.
Look into it. I finally like math!