Monday, September 8, 2008

Our 1st GMW Adventure

I learned a lot today, about myself at this season of motherhood and homeschooling and about the structure of our day as well as the floetry (is that a word?) of subjects and children :0). I feel like the Lord blessed us in our attempt to honor Him in our adventure, I am calling it that because it is just that an adventure in simply living, loving and learning we are all walking and sometimes hiking together and we will need to be there to encourage eachother when the road gets rough and we will definetly need to pick eachother up when we fall on the rocky ground below us and nurture our wounded knees and hearts at times. I, only with the Lords strength, got up earlier than I have in months and got off to a fairly close start to the one I had written on paper and deep in my mind.

Initially I had planned on taking a lot more pictures but I guess we just got to caught up in our day that I forgot. I had everything planned out but did not have the intentions to be a legalist about it but rather to use it as a guide. It worked out pretty well other than a few things. Here is what we did...

...family meditation in the word and in prayer... we gathered on the couch in our playroom and went over what the bible says about authority and then with a request from Butterfly we all very loudly proclaimed "Our God is not dead... NO" as we all joined together in song and then followed with a time of prayer for our day.



...we then went to our desks to dive into some math concepts... and after gathered around the kitchen table for a game of addition Bingo. At first I thought only Superman and I could play but with T-Rex's persistence that he was "big enough" to play to he joined us and I was very glad because it was a great learning experience for him and his numbers.


...next was our copywork and grammar lesson, which was super simple and fun... Superman enjoyed the lesson on sentences. For copywork he just copied his memory verse for the week: 1 Corinthians 11:3.

...we enjoyed some time just hanging out together and planting some indoor window plants.

...it was hard to go back inside after being outside so we brought our radio outside and listened to our SOTW Chapter one and then colored the map and had a nice little discussion.

...after our history lesson I put several library books on the table for him to read about Rome... he loved them and couldn't get enough. We then went into lunch time and after moved into our cleaning time, this was nice and I was so suprised at how much fun they all had, Butterfly had fun spraying her cleaning solutio,water, all over herself and everyone else and the boys did an excellent job at getting all of their dirty hands and feet markings off the hall wall while I cleaned the bathroom...



... right before our rest time we had a nice little family quiet time together just enjoying some books together...



...during our rest time Superman enjoyed some time with Vincent Van Gogh and The Starry Night. I was very impressed with his enthusiasm to just observe art and discuss what we looked at together... we are both looking forward to more.

We had a pretty nice, calm and short day considering we were missing our cursive, science and spelling, which all came in directly following our lessons :0). They will be added to our day tomorrow. Superman is excited about cursive.

Something that I learned today was that Butterfly needs her own table and chair so that I don't have to keep battling with her on T-Rex's desk or on the kitchen table. At one point she actually grabbed a book and put it on the table and began to climb in the chair, it was then I realized she wanted to be apart of what was going on. All in all it was in Superman's words "Awesome day!"

JOYfully in Him,

Kelli

No comments: