Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Little Effort...

It has been a rough first half of the week for us here at GMW... the lack of effort is weighing heavy on my heart. I really struggle with knowing how to handle this idleness of mind with my 7 almost 8 year old. Encouragement doens't seem to work, being silly neither and punishment... I won't go there. I feel like I am incapable to bring out his thoughts with out much probing and I just long for him to spew them out all over me, I want to know what is in his amazing little brain because I know it is full of fascinating information and thoughts.


Today is going to be a test for all of us... doctors appointment in the middle of the day, no rest time for anyone and then evening church. We are going to have to push hard to get all of our subjects in this morning :0)
JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

5 comments:

Latte said...

I want to encourage you to try to remember that he is a boy and while some boys will ramble on and on, most are just built to not say much. It's not idleness, it's not knowing how to put into words what he thinks or feels. I have two boys and I have one of each. For years I thought the big boy was just being lazy...and in part it is however, he just is not a good communicator. The words for what to say just don't come easy to him, where my 3 year old could give me 20 different ways he feels about a toy.

What I plan on doing for my older boy, because I do want him to learn to talk about stuff-just to relate simple conversations- is have him join a debate team, or write a few dictations a week. He also has to write to the Lord everyday about what ever he wants or feels. This I pray will get him to dig in his brain and pull out the words that join up with the feeling or thought.

I pray this helps.
Neat new blog layout too!
Latte

JavaMama said...

Thanks for the encouragement...

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Latte said...

What you wrote on my blog is exactly how I feel. Yes they are boys but that is not an excuse to be *all* closed up. We just have to find a way to teach them how to open up without making them girls. touchy ground huh? Well I will pray for you about this.

Latte

cryssi said...

Ours is just the opposite. Two older girls and a younger boy. Kylie is so talkative and uses so many thoughts to express what she is thinking and big words too...and some of the questions she comes up with just floor me...some days I am left wondering if I am truly capable of teaching her like she needs taught and others, she comes up to me and tells me how smart I am and how much she loves learning..and I feel renewed. My middle child however, well, getting her to learn or express her thoughts..that is a more exhausting..she just wont do it.

I will keep you in my prayers and I hope that your day went well. We have one of those days tommorow.

Blessings and Prayers
Crystal

JavaMama said...

Thank you so much!! Our day was awesome, our appointment for the afternoon was canceled. Yeah!! It wasn't a need appointment so no worries. :0)

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli