Thursday, March 13, 2008

Green Hour Challenge #4

We have been unable to get outside and have a time for nature study recently. We finally got outside to participate in the Green Hour Challenge. I am not going to say a lot about it other than how exciting it was to find a focus area to examine for 6 weeks. We decided after walking outside to focus on birds. We have seen some exciting visitors around our house lately and we have been fasicinated to watch the little birds build their nest, the big unidentified odd black bird search for food in our front yard, the doves observing from obove, the Red Robin singing and searching in our backyard for bugs and the Wood Pecker scavengering for bugs high in the trees and many other birds just coming and feeding from our bird feeders. I am excited to learn more about these busy creatures. Here are some beautiful birds that we have been blessed to catch in the moment, enjoy:







I was particularly fascinated with this one. I heard an unfamiliar bird call and looked up to find it and found him and a few friends. I was intrigued by him, isn't he beautiful? Interestingly enough I accidently stumbled upon a site that identified him for me as a Cedar Waxwing. (not the orinal site I found him on, lost it somehow)
Visit Barb for more Green Hour Challenges!! I am late with this post, sorry.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Never, never, never too late. :)

I am so glad you posted your bird photos. They are so well done. I have a lot of trouble getting a clear photo of birds in our yard. We had a woodpecker on our tree today and I took 30 photos and only two are worth looking at. :(

We had a flock of cedar waxwings fly through last year and it was thrilling. They are such pretty birds and very unusual for this area.

I love to talk birds. I am glad you picking your focus and now can get to work learning new things.

Thanks for linking,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Anonymous said...

What beautiful birds! We can never get really good close-ups like that - the birds always fly away!!
Thanks for sharing,
~Chrissy

Tina in WA said...

Wow! What lovely pictures of birds. I love the waxwing one too. :o) So pretty. I never seem to get pictures of the birds we see. They fly off to quickly before I can get the camera ready. :o(

Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

~Tina

Melissa said...

Your bird pictures are great. I'm so jealous, I love Cedar Waxwings, but in all of our searches, we've not been able to see one yet.

Thanks for sharing,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Dana Leeds said...

Oh, I love birds too! We "officially" became bird watchers last spring, and can't help ourselves now. :-) I'm amazed at how many birds my daughter, age 7, and I can identify now. And, we have quite a few different visitors to our backyard - I think about 20 species! It's been fun. Enjoy learning about and watching the birds!

Anonymous said...

Hello there. It's nice to see what you are up to. I like your new blog. I like the birds, and I am especially thankful that we can see them once again.

Welcome, Spring!