Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Beginning of my CM Evolution

I have become engrossed in the philosophy of Charlotte Mason and I have only barely begun to reach in and unwind. I can hardly put down For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay it keeps drawing me in with the intent for more, more, more. I have a feeling that my ideas or direction of my teaching in some subjects and the way of each day are going to change slightly as I continue to be drawn in more and more into her passion and life. I have very naively adapted some of our education to follow her ideas but not with out a full understanding, now I will not stop until I understand her ideas more clearly for myself and that of my children.

I think it would very benificial for every school teacher to read her thoughts on education, on teaching, on life and on the personhood of each child. I think that one of the huge downfalls in the school system is the fact that most authorities in the walls of education lack the vital importance of understanding all of these factors, those of CM, and implementing them in their methods of teaching. They only see a class of children, desks filled, rather than a class of individual "persons" and I realize the enormous incapability to achieve this at its full capacity but even if the idea, the passion the understanding were there... then the heart of education would be, or possible could be.. found.

5 comments:

Lori C., Texas said...

I am also thinking of switching back to CM way of doing Language Arts. Have you seen this website? http://queenhomeschool.com/ I think we are going to use their Language Arts and spelling for next year for my almost 7ds. Very gentle.

Have a great day!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I started reading about Charlotte Mason education a year ago & fell in love with it. Her methods mesh so perfectly with our family , & with our parenting style. I, too, look forward to digging deeper into it all.

JavaMama said...

Thanks Lori!! I have been to that website but completely forgot about it... awesome.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

JavaMama said...

Hey Amy! We posted at the same time :0). I am just taken away with her philosophy.... loving it and just can not get enough.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

"drawing me in with the intent for more, more, more"...

That is exactly what it is like when you read a book like that!
I find myself constantly making adjustments to our school days, as I read more and more of Charlotte Mason and her ways.
(Beautiful music you have here!)