Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cursive Decision...

We have decided to begin cursive next year. Here are two of the handwriting books that I am attracted to for obvious reasons, or at least what I think are obvious:

Classically Cursive... I am drawn to this one, why? Well just the beauty of the cover grabs my attention but even more is the description given.....



Volume I, Bible Primer, begins by teaching the proper way to write the
letters of the alphabet. It continues with letter combinations, the books
of the Bible and the Lord’s Prayer. Volume II teaches more letter combinations and then has the student copy the Ten Commandments. In volume III, the students write out all one hundred and seven questions and answers of the Westminster Shorter Catechism. Volume IV covers the attributes of God through the copying of Bible verses on God’s existence, holiness, omnipotence, immutability, power, wisdom, dominion, love, goodness and patience.


Another guide that I am drawn to is...

Pictures in Cursive...



Our Pictures in Cursive series contains six volumes, each based around fine works of art. You may take a peek inside these books on our web site! They are incremental in nature; each book getting a bit more challenging than the last, with slightly smaller writing spaces. Consumable, each book contains 12 weeks’ worth of cursive practice, assuming you are doing cursive each day.


I would be very interested in your opinion of these two if you have had any experience or contact with either :0) and I would love to hear your suggestions for any other Cursive guides for a 2nd grader!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi~my name is Rose and I am a member of the Homeschooling Lounge.I use the classical method~using the trivium. I really love the Classicaly Cursive books. I am going to order them for my 7 year old this summer. She is now doing copywork in print.I am also using First Language Lessons with her. She loves it.We are planning to do book 3 of the series next year. We are also using Story of the World Ancients. I was thinking of ordering the programs from the Institute of Excellence in Writing. It teaches them early on how to write a paragraph. I don't have a blog~I only have a page at the homeschool lounge. God bless, Rose

JavaMama said...

Thanks Rose!! I am so torn with these 2!

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely beautiful and tantalizing options! Almost enough to tempt me to reconsider making my own copywork in Italic cursive via Startwrite.

So enticing!

-Dell

Anonymous said...

Java Mama,
We are going to start Classically Cursive this next school year. I have the book and have looked through it twice and it looks like it is going to be just what we need. Oh no! Now I'm going to have to check out this other program you mentioned. It looks so beautiful. I have never seen it before! Thanks for posting it!

Anonymous said...

I really like "Handwriting without Tears". Both of my boys handwriting is better than I ever could have imagined at their ages. The oldest boy started Cursive in 2nd grade.
Christine