Monday, February 25, 2008

The Green Hour, Challenge #2



So we didn't stay in our back yard this week we decided to venture out there and go to a near by park. It was an absolutely oddly gorgeous day, 80 degrees! We were outside all day long, after my miserable visit to the dentist.
Now relax and join us in our Nature Walk highlights:

This was a funny little guy, he unexpectidly jumped on Superman into the water. He surprised us all. We lost him for a minute in the water but soon found him snuggled up under a rock. I moved it and he allowed us to snap a few pictures of him. We found out he was a Plain Leopard Frog, very cool!

A hole! What the imagination can think of when one sees a hole in the ground!

Superman speculated that lightning struck this tree causing the split down the middle of it, as for all the holes in it, he is stumped.

Interesting and a little scary was to find a large cage out in the trees, some sort of trap we all concluded. T-Rex and Superman assumed to catch the wandering Lions, Dragons and Hippopotami.

These, whatever they were, hurt.

Here are Superman's Hairy White Flowers.

The thorny tree that lead us into a discussion about the crown of thorns that Jesus wore.

Clover with purple marks in the middle of each leaf, we searched for a 4 leafer but left empty handed.

A cluster of berries on a bare bush.

A slippery slope into the mud shed a few tears from T-Rex.

On our drive down our street I noticed some blossums and thought Superman would enjoy looking at their faces. I reminded him of the closed flower, Daffadil, we saw last week and showed him what they look like when they are opened:

And then on the way back to our house he accidently disturbed a big hill of ants with his foot and we watched as they frantically searched about in the devastation:

We had a truly amazing experience in our Nature Walk today! After we finally got home I began dinner and encouraged the boys to journal about their nature walk:

Superman's Journal is above and Momma's is below, I am working on helping T-Rex with one of his own. He has a journal but I am trying to assist him.




At dinner we all discussed our words of description.

Our 1 word to express what we "heard" on our nature walk: tweet, splash and snap.

Our 2 words to express what we "saw" on our nature walk: berry tree, underwater frog and thorny tree.

Our 3 words to express what we "felt" on our nature walk: White hairy flower, inclined uncomfortable bench and rusty old branch.

I leave you with a picture of my handsome boys and myself together after our excursion!

Green Hour Challenges can be found at Heart of Harmony! Thanks Barb, you are an awesome encouragement!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful nature adventure! Thanks for sharing. I love your nature journals, aren't they fun, even for Mom?! And your words were so descriptive, good job.

Happy Nature Adventuring,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Barb said...

Words, I am at a loss for words. This is what it is all about. Simple, natural outdoor time. I can tell you are a great mom by the way you connected things you saw to things that meant something for your boys.

That is one mean looking thorn tree and when you tied in the thorny crown, well...one can only imagine how that felt having that put on your head. Sigh.

Love your nature journals, your words, the whole package.

Keep it up...I love sharing what I have had all these years with my boys and my daughter too. It really bonds you.

It is much bigger than nature study. :)

Barb-Harmony Art Mom
(I think I found a lot of words after all.)

Anonymous said...

My son would have loved to have seen that frog!!
The thorns made me really think about what our dear Lord suffered on our behalf.
Your journals look great - isn't it just wonderful to be able to see such wonders around us?
~Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and the photo's are breathtaking! It is snowing where i am with my children~but in the spring we get out with our nature journals.God bless, Rose(homeschooling lounge)

PJ Academy said...

Hey I was searching science unit studies and this site came up I thought of you

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/nature_journal.php

Maybe an idea or 2 there!
I can't wait for the nature walk to start here! We got a few inches of anow here last night :(

Jennifer

Dana Leeds said...

I am trying to get started doing Barb's weekly challenges and enjoyed reading your post. We have a "pet" leopard frog that just turned 1 year old. I thought it was neat that you found... and photographed one... outside! Frogs seem to jump away so quickly.

cryssi said...

Love the pictures! My girls would be in the water with the frog! They love this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, it hasnt been warm enough here lately to go out much.

Prayers
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Your photos were stunning! What a great nature walk! I don't know if there is a much better way to connect with your boys, than being out in nature with them. What a powerful lesson it must have been for them to see those thorns and associate it with what our Savior did for us. I bet they won't soon forget that.

Tina in WA said...

Great picture, desciptions, and nature journals.

I am really enjoying see what other folks nature walks are like. It is very inspiring.

Lori C., Texas said...

Thanks for sharing! I loved your pictures, journals, and words.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful Green Hour (or 2, or 3) :)

Dawne

Ms Eva said...

Love the journaling - we need to do more of that ourselves. Assign #3 will help!

I love the picture of the Daffodil - Spring is near! :)

Lisa~ said...

Very nice! 80 degrees? I can’t imagine.... We need warmth here in the PNW! *Ü*

I cant agree with barb enough.... you really did a fantastic job with your boys on your outing... with your discussions and your journals!

Thanks for sharing... I think I liked that big ol frog picture... and I think it would have startled me too! Although, I love frogs!

I look forward to visiting here on challenge number 3.


Lisa